Blinker Issues Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Default Blinker Issues Anyone?

Hey,

I have a 68 camaro and when you turn on the headlights the left blinker light comes on in the dash and stays on. The blinker does not come on outside of the car. However when you turn the left blinker on, the light in the dash blinks accordingly with the outside lights (however it blinks very slow) and then when you shut it off the blinker light in the dash comes back on steady.

Im assuming this would possibly be a ground issue? Im wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if anyone knows a common issue that it could be? Both blinkers work fine other than the left indicator light comming on with the headlights.

Also, my blinks are very slow. Is there a regulator for this?

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear member

check the bulbs first to make sure none are bad

Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

I think it would be a relay to speed them up if anything

and check all your grounds

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM

All the bulbs do work. I'm afraid it is a ground but I kind've was hoping it isnt. That can be like finding a needle in a haystack! As for the relay is it just called a blinker or turn signal relay?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear member

It is not a ground problem, if all your bulbs (dash and exterior) are working you may have two wires touching (shorting) problem. Check all your bulbs and sockets.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with it possibly being a short somewhere in the wiring if it is not the relay. Follow the wires back from the sockets towards the main harness. Especially check where they connect. If that doesn't work, it might be easier to replace the wiring harness rather than try to spend hours locating a short somewhere in the circuit. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks guys for your help. Ill let you know when I find out what the problem is

Old 03-12-2010, 12:05 PM
4th Gear Member

I know this sounds stupid but check to make sure the bulb is put in correctly. Somehow, I was able to put the bulb in my jeep truck 180 degress opposite what it was suppose to be and had the exact same thing going on. Don't know why but it did.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes check that wiring to be sre nobody has replaced a socket and got the wires to the left blinker reversed! Also check the lights from outside while you have the blinker on. I bet you'll find when the left is blinking it's trying to illuminate all the marker lights and maybe the headlights too!
I would pull the left turn signal lamp and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then check the lamp installation, and also wires for any repairs or shorts. Do this with one lamp at a time! Front lamp, and then rear lamp, until you see which one is the culprit. Then when you narrow it down to front or rear you can follow thw wiring out from that lamp socket.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh yes, it absolutely could be a bad ground. And based on what's happening, i would suspect that over a short. If a component has a bad ground, the circuit is going to try and find ground somewhere. So what happens is power will back-feed to something else that does have a ground, and cause that something else to go on as well. You really need to check all your wiring, and ground connections on the radiator core support, under the dash, etc.

Quick Reply: Blinker Issues Anyone?