Is this 67 worth 12k?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Is this 67 worth 12k?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261883133370

I've been wanting to get a first gen for some time now. I found this 67 on eBay for 12k and I'm nervous to pull the trigger.
Clear title.
No rust to speak of so he says
No filler except where new quarters were put on

At 12k this thing is screaming Buy Me!

Someone convince me I'm doing the right thing please!

Last edited by MOmilkman; 05-15-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MOmilkman
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261883133370

I've been wanting to get a first gen for some time now. I found this 67 on eBay for 12k and I'm nervous to pull the trigger.
Clear title.
No rust to speak of so he says
No filler except where new quarters were put on

At 12k this thing is screaming Buy Me!

Someone convince me I'm doing the right thing please!

You need to go look at the car! My gut feeling is.....It's a POS, Get it on a lift, You will see a lot of stuff the owner is hiding or flat doesn't know.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It might be a good deal if it checks out ok. I wouldn't buy it sight unseen, too many guys have done that only to find their newly bought "good deal" requires a complete restoration.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just and FYI,

From my teacher while I was in school. "If you are going to paint a car that is in bad shape and you are not doing a great job on the body work paint it either Yellow or Orange. There are externally shining colors and lack the deepness. This will hide bad body work.

I am not say this car is bad it just when ever I see a yellow or orange car I assume bad things until proven otherwise.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

My past experience with a couple of (non original color) white cars I restored has proven that white does a good job at hiding a multitude of sins. It's the opposite of black, or other darker colors, which shows every flaw.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Guys, thank you so much for the replies. That is why I joined this forum for good unbiased opinions.

Your right, It's a 8 hr drive one way and I'm not up for that just to find out its. It what I thought it would be.

Unfortunately, yellow is the color I want. I love the yellow and black. Nothing prettier going down the road in my opinion.

I don't have anywhere else to turn for legitimate advice during my search.

Again, thank you and you may be hearing from me when I seek my next find.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What was your plan if you had bought it sight-unseen, have it delivered or go get it? If your plan was to get it yourself, you put yourself in a worse position if it's a money pit because it's your car at that point. Going out there before buying at the worse case could just end up being a wild goose chase, but at least you're not stuck with buying it. Yeah 8 hours is a trip, and definitely not worth it if the car isn't what it was represented to be....if.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I could make a couple observations, he shows it on a trailer this indicates a recent purchase. I would guess he has determined after purchase that the cost to repair was so much he decided to throw it away. Second he may have just purchased it to flip it. If the last guy sold it for less than he is asking, why? I did notice in a couple pictures it looks like a rattle can paint job. Not much effort was made to do a proper paint job and now the cost to strip it is more. The quarter panel on the passenger side has a noticeable gap compared to the trunk. The rear window valance in the trunk looks to be one solid piece of rust. The angle of the pictures looks to be taken so you can not see interior, trunk floor pan. I would guess if you want to do a full restoration on it and are willing to cough up the 20k to 30k it needs you have to yourself is the car done worth 50k to 60k figuring 10k in your labor... I would not buy that car for more than 5k it will probably turn out to be a parts car... Just my 2 cents...

Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What was your plan if you had bought it sight-unseen, have it delivered or go get it? If your plan was to get it yourself, you put yourself in a worse position if it's a money pit because it's your car at that point. Going out there before buying at the worse case could just end up being a wild goose chase, but at least you're not stuck with buying it. Yeah 8 hours is a trip, and definitely not worth it if the car isn't what it was represented to be....if.
That exactly what I was thinking. Originally I was gonna buy it sight unseen but after realizing the pictures weren't very detailed I thought better of that and traveling to Chicago just to look at a car that may not have been represented well just didn't seem feasible.
I expect the car that I eventually get to have issues that need to be addresses because I plan on spending between 15-20k. But I have the rest of my life to make the car I buy my baby.
I was hoping this might be a better deal and that would leave me more room for upgrades but in the end this might have set me back more.
Thanks

Old 05-17-2015, 09:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Icecobra
I could make a couple observations, he shows it on a trailer this indicates a recent purchase. I would guess he has determined after purchase that the cost to repair was so much he decided to throw it away. Second he may have just purchased it to flip it. If the last guy sold it for less than he is asking, why? I did notice in a couple pictures it looks like a rattle can paint job. Not much effort was made to do a proper paint job and now the cost to strip it is more. The quarter panel on the passenger side has a noticeable gap compared to the trunk. The rear window valance in the trunk looks to be one solid piece of rust. The angle of the pictures looks to be taken so you can not see interior, trunk floor pan. I would guess if you want to do a full restoration on it and are willing to cough up the 20k to 30k it needs you have to yourself is the car done worth 50k to 60k figuring 10k in your labor... I would not buy that car for more than 5k it will probably turn out to be a parts car... Just my 2 cents...
Very good observations as far as the car on the trailer.
And I noticed the gap too but I have no experience in body work and was wondering what it would take to fix that.
Thanks for your time in looking at the pics and your evaluation.

Quick Reply: Is this 67 worth 12k?