67 Camaro Reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:51 AM
Default 67 Camaro Reverse lights

Hi everyone! New 1967 Camaro owner here, and first time poster.

I'm new to these cars, so please bare with me. I just picked one up this last week, and as a complete oversight, I didn't realize the car doesn't have reverse lights.

Living in a big city, this might cause me to run into a lot of issues. Cops stopping me, other drivers getting angry at me, accidents etc. are all things I'd like to avoid in my new ride.

So what are you guys doing for adding reverse lights to your cars? Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-04-2015, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear member

it don't have clear lenses in the housing or they don't work?

Old 04-04-2015, 05:44 AM

There's no clear housing. They are red all the way across. I did just see a set of lenses on ebay. I'm guessing that's probably the "easiest fix" is to buy the clear lenses and wire it up?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:01 AM
2nd Gear member

you will have to check to see if your linkage is on the shifter, or you could use a toggle switch
you need to check if you have the proper bulb socket for the reverse lights

Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Previous owner put on RS tail lights, and on an RS, reverse lights would be below the bumper. Assuming your car still has the factory harness, the reverse light sockets should still be there.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:28 AM

Yes,put a jumper on the green wire that comes from the reverse lights at the connector where the rear body harness and the dash harness connect.From that point back I know is ok.The dash lights worked before but now the instrument cluster is out and the gages have replaced an with autometer set and currently are not in the car. Previously the dash lights worked but still had no power to back up lights,that was before new harness was put in.All fuses are good and still no power to this lead.I know that the old harness had MANY issues and am wondering if a different problem is presenting itself the same way with the new harness installed.

Find the Best deals and lowest prices on lights with 2yrs warranty and free shipping only at....
Discount Auto Parts & Aftermarket Car Body Parts Online - TheAutoPartsShop

Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 AM
4th Gear Member

As asked, how WAS the Camaro originally equipped?
If a manual trans installed, there will be a plug next to the gas pedal on the engine firewall. There would be a harness going down to the trans and to a rev light switch bolted onto the drvr side of trans. If missing, needs replacement from an aftermarket supplier.

If equipped with an automatic trans, and was column shifted, then look at the top of the steering column at the firewall behind the brake pedal a neutral safety/reverse light switch on top. Connector may be hanging around, two purple wires and a green wire and a pink wire.

If console shifted, a harness for the console would be needed and see if shifter is equipped with switch.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:54 AM

Thank you all for your help. I decided to buy replacement lenses and then grab an LED upgrade kit. A little pricey when it's all said and done, but I think I'll be happy with it.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I would not use LED lights in the car,,, you wind up with lights not as bright, and electrical issues with flashers etc... Just buy the regular bulbs, cheaper and easier..

Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Icecobra
I would not use LED lights in the car,,, you wind up with lights not as bright, and electrical issues with flashers etc... Just buy the regular bulbs, cheaper and easier..
LED's not as bright? I thought that was the point of the LED kit was so your lights are brighter. My tail lights right now are really dim and I'm having problems with the left side light too.

I agree just regular bulbs are waaaaay cheaper but I don't think the LED's would be less bright.

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro Reverse lights