67 Camaro 350 v8, car newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 67 Camaro 350 v8, car newbie

I just bought a 67 camaro, rebuilt 350 v8/350 auto trans,holley 4 barrel. this weekend. I am a complete car newbie, so i'm learning as i go. Car was running great, sounded good, shifting good, no issues at all. Guy i bought it from said he used only non-ethanol gas. Well I filled up with premium gas from the local station that has ethanol in it. Yesterday i went for a drive to the store and on the way back i noticed that it was idling a little rough and as long as i kept my foot on the peddle and rpms up some it was fine. When i was pulling into the carport and took my foot off the gas in drive it stalled on me. It started back up. I noticed after filling up too that when i restart the car after being warm i have to put my foot on the gas peddle, and when we went for a test drive that day after it was warm a single turn of the key and it started up.... So is this the fuel i used or is it something else going on? Do i siphon out the gas and put in non ethanol and go from there?

Thanks ahead of time for all the info!
And yes, i fell in love at first sight with this car, my wife is jealous!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear member

I run 93 0ctane regular pump gas in mine with no problems
filter?
fuel pump pressure?
how long has the car been sitting before you bought it?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

fuel filter is new, not sure about air filter. The car was driven around once a month by the previous owner. I don't know fuel pump pressure. After it stalled at the house it fired right back up, but is idling a little rough

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like your choke might not be set/working correctly, which can explain why the cold engine runs rough but it's fine when warm.
I too run premium E-10 with no issues. You could have gotten a rotten batch of gas, but I suspect the choke.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:40 AM

I have 9 Chevy's dating from 1964 to 1971 and none have been rebuilt for use with today's fuels but the HP engines like the 302 in the '69 Z does suffer at times.

Seeing that you just got this car there are several things that can happen including those already mentioned by the other members.

Simple things to start with. After checking what the other members suggested, check the timing. You may not be able to use the factory settings because of the alcohol but start with the original specs of the motor...check the casting and assembly codes to see what year the engine is. Make notice of what the timing is before you move anything. Once it is close to factory start with retarding the spark a little at a time and test drive it. It may ping so retard it a bit more. If you do not notice any difference in how the engine performs and it gets worse, then put it back to your original timing and look for other issues.

What I have found over the many cars I buy is lack of maintenance of the vehicles from previous owners that can include being parked more than driven. The worse was a 1964 Chevelle, fully restored...almost. The fuel filter was filthy so I drained the tank and fuel line and put what came out in a clear plastic bottle...why plastic? Just in case I drop it. Old dried fuel and "stuff" prevented flow. Fixed it an all is well.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Here's an update... I read up a lot about all sorts of things yesterday and after speaking with the previous owner for a bit. He let me know he ran consistently 89 octane non-ethanol gas... I decided to just have a look see in the carb and shoot some carb cleaner in while she was idling... at first she was a tad rough like the day before when i was running her... reved it up a few times and after shooting carb cleaner in a few times there was a noticeable difference in the idle. took her for a short drive in the neighborhood and she ran perfect, good accelerator response, idling better etc..........So is it possible she just had a little gunk in the carb that got flushed out? Keep in mind i didn't have time to run her long so once she gets warm the problem may come back up.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 AM

You seem to have done the easiest thing possible by using the carb cleaner and I hope it fixes it. I missed your note that you use the 89 Octane. I am putting 89 in my '64 283 and so far it drinks it OK most of the time. This 283 is low compression. Only time I've heard a pinging is on a hot day when I run the AC and it only does it when under strain like climbing a hill. When you have time you should take a compression test on each cylinder to see what the pressures are if they are all close. Only ethanol fuel is available around here except at airports where it is priced really hi. The 302 will only run 93 or higher octane and timing will not change that and even with brand name fuels that car will ping when RPMs are under 3g so if you find your compression is high that is another thing to consider. During the summer I did push some racing fuel through the 302. The exhaust smell was weird but the car did not ping but the cost was nearly twice that of pump gas.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just another update on my car... i'm a complete newbie so please forgive me for things that make you shake your head.... after running 89 non-ethanol gas the car seemed fine... well then it started dieseling BAD. it ran-on for 10 seconds at one point and my wife got really worried. After a lot of research i had 1/2 tank of gas, i filled up with 93 octane w/ ethanol... i added octane booster. I changed out the plugs which showed the car was running rich and they were covered in carbon buildup. From what i could understand on the holley carb i adjusted the air/fuel mixture at least that's what i assume it is, and the idle just a tiny bit. went for a test drive last night got it up to temp... wasn't able to drive her real hard, but got it warm... idled great... and shut off when i turned the key.... Anyone have advice on what additive i can use to clean out the carbon buildup?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM

I'm impressed with your efforts and success. Idle speed does a lot to oil pressure, dieseling, temps, carbon, acceleration from a standing point and other not so good things. In an airplane we lean out the fuel mixture and rev the engine to clean out carbon. On my cars I find a nice clear spot of highway (clear of other drivers and law enforcement) then open it up with the pedal to the metal. Seems to work OK.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 AM
4th Gear Member

Next full tank, add a bottle of either Wynn's Carb Cleaner or BG 44K to the tank first, then fill.
You're doing good on the tune-up.
Just drive her with a firm pedal.
She does look nice, congrats.