1st Gen member help, 1968 disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Default 1st Gen member help, 1968 disc brakes

I'm looking to upgrade my '68 RS with disc brakes and want to keep the 14" tires. I know my rally rims need to be disc style and they are so that is not an issue. My SS has 4 piston calipers and Rally's. A lot of upgrade kits are out there as well as many vendors plus I see some rebuilt calipers and brand new ones. I will be replacing everything related to PW Disc with GM original style booster, master, valves, brackets, etc. I do have a contact with an original set up but he wants to trade rather than sell outright but what he wants is not on my list of things to get ride of.

In short, who has upgraded or rebuilt their Camaro to a new/rebuilt disc brake kit and can you suggest the dealer you got them from or did you rebuild a used set? Has anyone had any night mares with any kits or dealers out there?

Thanks, PM's are easier for me to track but forum replies are OK too.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:56 AM
2nd Gear member

I bought mine from Ricks
spindles to brake lines.
the installation was very easy. no alterations what so ever

Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 AM

I bought a complete kit from the company called " THE RIGHT STUFF " I used an original set of 14x7 XT steel wheels and was a good fit ... I had to grind just a little on 1 caliper but was just casting flaw .... I was happy with it . this was on a full rotisserie cortez silver BB 4 speed 12 bolt car.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the info from both of you. I'm glad that there are still kits that allow 14" rims. Back in 1972 my SS had the 4 piston set up that leaked a lot and I pulled the front set off a 1971 Lemans that had single piston calipers. It fit fine with the disc rims.

On many kits it specifies 15" rims so I will check out those kits. I've dealt with both Rick's and The Right Stuff ever since 1989 so I'm familiar with them.

The car I'm upgrading was built by someone? in Lima, Ohio and I bought it through Hemming's in 1990. Great find with an interesting story that I won't bore you with here but the short story is a teen age gal turned it down as her first car from her dad. She didn't want an old car. $8500 later its in my driveway and collecting trophy's. Not a SS but optioned to the limits. Even has cruise control!

Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 AM
2nd Gear member

I got a CPP brake kit from Matt's Classic Bowties.

Very nice kit and you have quit a few options that they offer but I'm not sure if a 14" rim would fit?

NOTE: I just saw this, the kit that I got, 6769SWBKS, states that this kit is for 15" wheels.

Last edited by bruce69camaro; 09-29-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Updating....
Old 09-30-2016, 09:13 AM

I looked at the CCP set up and even though it looks like a great kit and I have seen them at cruises I'm going to stay with a stock appearance. My 69 Z has single piston calipers and I'm going to see if a 14" disc rim from my SS fits it. I did get a reply from a member who has the full set including 4 piston calipers from his '68. We have not negotiated a price yet and looking at his pictures it is definitely used but very little is really plated on the stock and if the price is right I can have the local shop re-plate everything or just buy from a dealer. As far as the calipers I can use them as cores for a rebuilt and SS sleeved pair.

Working on the rear drums right now and by the time I finish those my mind should be made up

Thanks again!