1968OriginalOwnerPotentiallyForSale

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:00 AM
Default 1968OriginalOwnerPotentiallyForSale

I'm a new member and need a little help. I just ran into a distant relative that wants to sell his 1968 Camaro Convertible (6 cylinder, 3 speed on the floor, bucket seats). He is the original owner and it has been garaged since new (although he lives 1000 feet from the ocean). The car is very solid and is currently registered and he starts it regularly. He's 80 plus years old. I'm trying to list pictures in the garage, but no luck so far. The car needs a complete restoration, but is running and driveable, and pretty presentable and not a rust bucket. Can someone give me an estimate on what you think the car should sell for? I'm guessing between $5k and $10k, but I'm not sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

My guess w/o pic's would be 15-18 $$$ K More if it has NO rust

Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM

Glenn, Thanks much for the response. I just posted three pictures in my garage (mrogers22@cfl.rr.com, ArtsCar). Give it a look. I'm going to be tied up for the next two months. When I return, I'm going to help the guy market and sell the car.

Thanks again, Mark.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I will tell you with the little information provided.. 5k to 25k... More information would narrow this down.. Such as, what is original and what has been replaced, belts hoses tires interior..etc.. Mileage? You say its been stored real close to the ocean.. This is a very bad point as most of us know that close to the ocean its going to have rust.. How much and where is the 20k question... 5k and your going to have money to make those repairs.. 25k and it better not turn out to be a rust bucket or you loose the bet... I did just pick up a perfectly restorable daily driver that has a v8 and 4 speed M22 trans... It is not perfect and has some rust... But I am looking to put about 20k in to it over the next 4 years and have a huge party on its 50th anniversary.. I paid 17k and it runs and drives great for now.. Until I began the full restoration in a couple years...

Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It looks solid, Has it been repainted? How is the top? The problem with I6's is few people want them. No one wants to be the one to tear apart an all original car. Everyone will tell you leave it original but when it crosses the auction block the bids are real light. Heck at some auctions the same car with a crappy 305 in it would sell higher because no one would blame someone for replacing a 80's 305 with a 2005 LS2 motor.

Assuming it is low miles and nice underneath and the top is less then 8 years old I would not go over 12K for it. There was a time when a car like that would bring 20K but those days are gone. My RS/SS is worth 20-22K.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:59 PM

Gang,

I'm back from vacation and I found that the Camaro is for sale on ebay (see below). The auction ends in less than five days and the current bid is approaching $11k. I don't have any additional information.

Good luck and thanks for the comments. Mark

Chevrolet Camaro 2 Door Convertible | eBay