1967 Camaro Electrical Issue with V Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 PM
Default 1967 Camaro Electrical Issue with V Regulator

Hi looking for assistance with an electrical issue on my 1967 Camaro. I have completely restored this car 4-5 years ago nd since then the car had been running great, then after charging the battery over winter break, started car and took it out, within 15 mins or so the battery was low enough not to restart. Lucky for me I was at Oreilly when it happened. I took my battery in and they tested it to be bad. I replaced using their top of the line battery, they then tested my charging circuit after I installed the battery and they said the regulator failed, alternator was good. I went home and installed the regulator and started the car. There was buzzing from the Borg Warner regulator so I drove it back to Oreilly and they tested regulator to fail again. Ordered a new one and same thing. I removed the cover on the reg. and found the contact on the single pole was not in the right place from the factory. Bent connector and started and humming went away, now I have no charging effect going on. I checked alternator by jumping F and 3 and battery on multimeter increased to 15.2 before shutting off the car. I also tested F to ground to be 12 ohms which should be good. I was getting 37 ohms and 20 ohms through the reg coils which sounds logical. After reading some of the posts I tryed running a ground wire straight from the neg. post to the alternator and reg. ground. I cleaned all connections on the reg terminal by removing all four and sanding. I have a console car with factory gauges. Someone said to see if the resistor was burned on the voltage gauge. I removed the gauges and did not see a resistor but I have driven this car over 11000 miles as it was before the reg and battery change. I purchased a VR715 Wells Regulator today and still no luck. I feel like something is not exciting the alternator and I don't know why. I thought about taking the alternator off and taking to Oreilly to put on there inside machine next. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you for reading my book.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Old 07-05-2015, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I know some models used a bulb in the dash to excite the alternator. If the bulb burns out then you have no charge this would be a place to check also... When you turn the key on a bulb lights until you start the car then the bulb goes out. Many people miss the bulb is not lighting up when the key is turned to on engine not running...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:56 AM
4th Gear Member

The GEN light is a parallel path for charging the battery.
The other path is a length of resistive wire.
Ensure there is no drainage on battery by inserting a light bulb between a cable and its battery post - only if no modern electronics is installed - clock power, etc.
Ensure red wire from alt BATT stud to battery is in good shape.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Charging_System.pdf (30.2 KB, 103 views)