Built LT1 vs. LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Post Built LT1 vs. LS Swap

Good evening all... I have been browsing at LS1 tech and a few other forums... the LT1 vs. LS1 discussions got heated and nasty... I have street/strip plans for my 1993 Z28... I would like to run 11s or better... I'm asking for advice because I'm thinking of doing this one of 2 ways... first, I plan on getting the car running 100% and having a solid foundation to start... then when the Modding begins, this is what I have in mind.... purchase a Golens forged 383 or 396 short block and slowly build it up with the parts I have in mind (TFS heads, New water pump, optispark conversion) while using the car with the stock LT1 with bolt ons (I.e. headers, throttle body, Edelbrock intake, etc.) Which, when the stock motor comes out, will bolt on to the 396... the main reason I'm planning forged is cuz I'd like to add a pro charger later on... the second scenario would be to swap in an LS motor and work from there... what would be needed for the LS swap other than an LS engine and a 4L60E tranny? What about the LT vs. LS wiring? Is it more cost effective than staying with the LT? What are pros/cons? Thanks for any insight.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear member

You could easily break into the 11s with full bolt-ons and an aggressive H/C setup from Lloyd Elliot by working with what you already have... It's the most cost effective route but the biggest problem will be your rear.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Catmaigne
You could easily break into the 11s with full bolt-ons and an aggressive H/C setup from Lloyd Elliot by working with what you already have... It's the most cost effective route but the biggest problem will be your rear.
Awesome... I just bookmarked his site... I plan on upgrading to a bigger rear end to handle the power... I have been checking out Hawks Third Gen parts and they have used rears that will fit our f-bodys... but I would go ahead and freshen it up.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would invest in a moser 12 bolt or a 9", our stock 10 bolts can't hold much power over stock.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

switching to an ls1 system would not be cheap. be easier with a 96-97. i would agree with the guys. if you like the 93 then building it would be the way to go.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 AM
4th Gear Member

I love hypothetical build talks because we get to spend hypothetical money.

If my objective was to hit low 11's/high 10's at the track, but still want a street vehicle, then I would be looking at spray.

I don't need a monster to drive on the street. Heck, a bolt-on LT1 is plenty for the street. Again, driving, not racing.

So, my focus would be on using forged parts, build a low 12 second street vehicle with heads/cam combo that still gives me some modicum of drivability (gas is already over $4 for premium and going up) and acceptable economy.

I would then have a tune for race day when I add racing fuel and nitrous. That would be how I would get into low 11's/ high 10's.

Of course you need to stiffen the vehicle, upgrade the tranny and rear end.

many people have run 10 bolts for years while others get a few passes and are done.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Im going to point out, in the first 4 gears and half of 5th my car stock will be in front of an LS car. Its got all the torque it needs to do that, and I have never once pulled out of 5th in a 1/8th. I've only barely gotten in it.

The fact is as is you can pull away from most cars in the first 3 gears. maintain it in 4th and then they catch up from there. So that being said The LT would be my first choice, I wouldn't go to the LS unless the pro-charger(or turbos or whatever) is a definite. The LS can hold a little more pressure from what i understand. Now the LT with a remote mount turbo will pull some pretty impressive stuff too, I have never seen anyone put it to the max pressure test though... The LT is a power house, and when you beat all the LS guys then you can show them and have them ooo and ahh over your master piece.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guys... Craby, I like the LT platform and I think I will stick with it... I will just go with a Golens short block for the start of the build and work from there as I already stated... torque is good... I'm not a big fan of spray, but I will consider the options... the reason I brought this thread up is because of this thread here... Lt1 Vs. Ls1 I know it was started in 06' but the LS bias is incredible in these posts... so i wanted to verify that the LT series of small blocks are as rank as I thought they were... not to mention, I'm more of an old school guy anyway...

Old 02-17-2012, 03:27 PM

November 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Ride of the Month Director

Originally Posted by 1993_Z28
Thanks for the replies guys... Craby, I like the LT platform and I think I will stick with it... I will just go with a Golens short block for the start of the build and work from there as I already stated... torque is good... I'm not a big fan of spray, but I will consider the options... the reason I brought this thread up is because of this thread here... Lt1 Vs. Ls1 I know it was started in 06' but the LS bias is incredible in these posts... so i wanted to verify that the LT series of small blocks are as rank as I thought they were... not to mention, I'm more of an old school guy anyway...
Just so you have a point of reference. LS1s are easier to mod. there is just so much crap out there for them. BUT LT1s look, sound, pull, and idle better. Cheeks will argue but the LT1 is just a solid motor and as these guys said it is the last of the true 350s. Its an icon. stick with it.

(Plus our intakes look damn cool. and are not made of plastic... )

Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1993_Z28
yes, the LT1 is a fine engine but I'll never understand why the debate over LT1 vs LS1

If you own an LT1 then be happy with it.

But, if you have 2 cars in similar shape in front of you, one with the LS and the other with the LT then of course buy the 15 year old technology vs the 20 year old technology

please note how they are both older. Chevy has since improved upon the LS1 but they are still LS series.

Given my druthers, gimme the newest technology with dual overhead cams, variable camshaft timing, 400+HP getting 25-28 mpg on the highway

you can keep your old school, and I've grown up with it. I'll take the new technology any day of the week.

Quick Reply: Built LT1 vs. LS Swap