What changes to the Gen V should be made for Gen VI??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Exclamation What changes to the Gen V should be made for Gen VI??

Serious discussion ONLY

What major changes (if any) should be made to the current Camaro for the 2016 Sixth Generation

(Note- The Gen 6 has been confirmed as being in GM's system for Mid-Year 2016)

Old 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

a serious diet, i havent driven a 5th gen yet but all i ever hear about is that shes a cow.

Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
a serious diet, i havent driven a 5th gen yet but all i ever hear about is that shes a cow.
I thought the heavy cow of muscle cars was the Dodge Challenger? That beast is heavy and lumbers along.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

The 5th gen is over 4000#, an absolute pig.

Isn't the 6th gen supposed to be on the same platform as the new 2013 Caddy ATS? If so, that in it of itself should shed some serious weight.

Also, the possibility of different final drive gears would be appreciated. The current M6 equipped 5th gens come with 3.45's, much too low for a 6 spd. An option for 3.73 or 4.10 would be a great option I think; also believe the Mustang offers multiple final drive ratios as well.

Would also like to see the revival of the Z28 and the continuation of the ZL1.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if they wish to continue to sell in a environment with 4-5 dollar a gallon gas then mpg is going to have to go up considerably. sorta upside down now with 4th gens getting better mpg.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

How about from a design aspect? should it maintain the first gen styling or move to another retro look or something completely new? we all know weight is the major issue everyone will bring up. I'm looking for more specific things

i.e- "the speedometer should be centered behind the wheel because..."

just imagine you have 100% control over what this car will be like rolling out of the factory..

Keep in mind I'll be presenting your ideas to GM in a meeting in the near future..

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pony,,, small and full of energy. i like the basic style but would like to see the body smaller and, lol, the inside bigger. im used to my 4th gen with the hauling capacity of a small truck. i use every sq in sometimes.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ditch the retro, not a fan of it. The retro look was cool when the Mustang first did it many years ago, but now it feels so played out. I feel the retro look is just an easy way out for the designers, take things that were already done and try to bring them back again. Honestly, I'd like to see the continuation of the late 4th gen styling. My car still gets a lot of looks and many people are seriously surprised when I tell them its 10 years old; most think its much newer. Seems every other sports car or exotic is advancing forward in the design dept, but the muscle cars are going backward; all 3 of them (Camaro, Challenger, Mustang).

Just my opinion though, I realize the 5th gen is a big success and a lot of people like the styling, but I just feel its run its course and its time for something new.

Interior wise, visibility seems to get brought up a lot and I can definitely agree on that aspect. Layout wise, I like it for the most part; looks pretty modern for being slightly retro.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Failed Devices. I think every car company that has an offering for sports cars has been going backward instead of looking forward and trying something new. A big thing that the "Everyday Joe" drives the new 5th gen for is because the car was featured as the "New and improved" Bumblebee in the Transformers movies. I can't tell you how many of those stupid things I've seen hanging from rear-view mirrors, or Autobot/Decepticon decals I've seen on this model.

I think they should look towards more of a 4th-gen look, but make it more of the early 4th-gen, not the Sebring look-alike. In my opinion, it was the most aerodynamically-superior model.

Also, visibility is ALWAYS an issue, and not just for the blind spots in the sides and rear, but right in front of the driver as well. Make the gauges digital readouts instead of needles, much like the eco-cars driving around today. The LCD gauges can make for a smaller dash cowl, therefore increasing what the driver can see in front of him/her. This can also give the interior that more futuristic look, while still maintaining the muscle car feel.

That's just my two cents, and what I can think of for now

Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Build a Z/28 and offer better factory wheel options for starters. and as far as the body style, GM spent a boatload of money to bring the Camaro back to life in the current "style" if you will... I think it would be absurd to expect them to completely ditch it and go back to 4th Gen Styling. They should stay on the path they are on. if the 4th Gen body style was so great, they would have sold enough of them to not have to axe the Camaro in the first place. People lost interest, the 5th Gen Styling brought people back, and the Camaro Name that we all love. Lets remember that.

Quick Reply: What changes to the Gen V should be made for Gen VI??