2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

2011 Chevy Camaro SS Differential Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Default 2011 Chevy Camaro SS Differential Problem?

Okay so, this last weekend I went to the drag strip. I launched pretty hard a couple of times but nothin really happened. I finally decided that I wanted to leave and said I'd do one more run. As soon as I dropped the clutch I heard a huge thump. As if there was some type of object I ran over. But I didn't run anything over. I by this time was going about 60 and started slowing down. I realized that nothing was making noise but a loss in power was there it seemed. As I turn to go back down the track I heard loud clanking of something from the back of the car? (Assuming it's the diff gears) and it would cause it (The Differential) to slip almost. Like, I would slowly let off the clutch then it would catch and I'd go. I managed to take this opportunity to drive back to a friend's place. Which at the time there was no noise unless I pushed it a little from a stop or turned either direction. After getting to said friend's house I decided to troubleshoot and investigate the issue. I managed to get a video about what I could see that I'll post a link to it after I finished this post. I've tried shaking the left axle and it moved a little bit but as much as the right axle. The left one seemed to be a problem but I'll explain in better detail a little later.
but anyway, I finally got to their house and it finally broke fully? I would be in 1st gear trying to slowly let off the clutch and go but it felt like it was not catching any of the gears? But it said I was going 5mph? Since the vehicle wouldn't move anyway I let it coast at 5mph and laid down underneath the back bumper to look at those in the video. (Axles/diff) the left one for some reason seems to not be fully seated in the diff. Which I can't tell because I haven't looked at a well seated axle. So, while it's still doing the 5mph thing, and the driveshaft IS spinning as if it was driving. I pushed and wiggled the left axle in a bit and it caught then stalled. So, with this in mind and from the video. Do you guys think that the axles are actually good but not seated properly, or the diff is messed up and I just need to get a new one? Anything helps. I'm just trying to figure out what to buy and not end up wasting money of a part that didn't need fixing.

THE VIDEO LINK : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPO29QiPwAw

Old 05-11-2017, 12:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like both center section and one axle is busted. i assume its a limited slip center section, if its an open center section (not posi) then it could be the axle busted or slipped out somehow. to post video from utube hit the share button and copy the show link to your post, video will show like this.