2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

2010 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Default 2010 Camaro 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Originally Posted by Spok
Bobbie 201,

How does this story end? I'm curious because I just bought a used 2010 2SS M6. The idle is intermittently rought and I swear I can hear what sounds like a lifter tapping at between 1K and 2K rpm. I also think I feel a little bit of hesitation during mild acceleration.

This car sat on a dealers lot for almost 4 months between when it was traded and when I bought it. I'm thinking that it was probably started up to move it to a new location on the lot and then shut down over and over. Since the engine never got to operating temperature, lots of gunk may have accumulated. (Just a theory.)

So I'm really curious to find out how your lifter issue turned out. Please respond.
Spok: See my reply to Black Bettie. Bobby201

Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Default 2010 Camaro 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I did check through the notes for the case that you gave me and what was suggested was for the dealership to have one of our field representatives listen to the vehicle. You may wish to contact the dealership back to check to see if they are planning on having one of our representatives inspect the vehicle. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Jeff:
See my reply to Black Bettie. Many thanks for your help.

Bobby201

Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Official GM Representitive

Good to hear I was able to help you Bobby201.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet

Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Bobby,

When your lifters were replaced, how many did they replace? I just had my dealer's shop replace 8 lifters in my 2010 2SS. It seems to me that if the lifters are the same part for the exhaust and intake valves, then all 16 lifters should be replaced as they are all subjected to the same oil and the same operating environment. So if one lifter gunks out, then the others would be close to gunking out too.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My Camaro is back in the shop at the dealer. The same ticking noise at between 1.8K and 2.0K rpm came back. Maybe now they'll replace the other 8 lifters! Then if the ticking noise is still there, they can dig a little deeper and hopefully find the problem.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bobby201
Black Bettie:
Dealer installed new design lifters mid-December. Have not driven car much due to bad weather here. So far, no lifter noise when I start. Idle much..much better. Can hear light ticking sound outside the car....cool. I have the HP exhaust.....can here V-8 rumble at idle. Runs great...sounds cool!

bobby201
Awesome! Good to hear ....

Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I solved the lifter noise in my engine. I got rid of the car! Traded it in on a NEW 2010 2SS Camaro with identical options, same color (Victory Red), same interior (Black), same inverted mohawk roof (no sunroof), and in addition, it has the ultra sonic backup alarm and an invisible bra to ward off the rock chips on it's invisible breasts!

I suppose that's an extreme solution...but it works!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Spok
I also think I feel a little bit of hesitation during mild acceleration.
I think I feel the same thing. It's hard to describe and very subtle, so I'm not sure how to describe/show it to the service writer at the dealership.

There are a couple other things that I don't know if I should be concerned about, and as above, hard to describe.
2SS A6 vert (born on 04/28/2011)
1. Often when starting, and settling down to idle, seems a bit "rough" I want to say backfire, but it's much more subtle than that.
2. When driving agressively using the taps shifters, there is sometimes a loud "clicking" from the exhaust/rear.

Anyone have thoughts/idea?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Official GM Representitive

Cam26, my thought would be to have it checked by your dealer. You can let them know the type of symptoms and things like that to point in the best direction to diagnose this. You could also have one of the mechanics ride with you to try and reproduce the noise for them as well. I hope this suggestion helps you. If you run into issues with getting your vehicle repaired or diagnosed let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM

I went to my dealer and he pulled up data on his computer from Chevy that says the lifters need to be changed to more heavy duty advanced lifters in order to stop the ticking sound on my 2010 Camaro. It takes about three days for the work to be completed. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 2010 2SS Valve Lifter Noise