Transmission noise throw out bearing whine when cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:51 PM
Default Transmission noise throw out bearing whine when cold

I have a 2013 1le 47k miles When the weather is 52F or under i get a sharper noise from the normal throw out bearing noise until the car warms up of course after driving 15mins plus after that only noise is the normal throw out bearing noise

sound link

Last edited by craby; 11-24-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

strange, almost like a pump, fluid level in trans is ok?

Old 11-24-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by craby
strange, almost like a pump, fluid level in trans is ok?
Well yes is more like a stereo sound u know when u have that weird whine is not really noticible if u dont pay attention to the sounds is louder on the video i guess more detailed

Old 11-24-2015, 11:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

can you track it, i have see alternators make a noise like that. it seems to change with throttle so connected to the engine.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by craby
can you track it, i have see alternators make a noise like that. it seems to change with throttle so connected to the engine.
Well i am pretty sure is coming from the tranny cause when i press the clutch it goes away and like i said the noise is faint nothing really loud at all is just the normal tranny noise with a faint whine to it

Old 12-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you lightly press the clutch (without disengaging it) does the sound change?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
If you lightly press the clutch (without disengaging it) does the sound change?
No the sound stays there even when i press the clutch gradually until it disengages i put it in gear make it roll and leave it in gear press the clutch in i can hear it faintly until i take it out of gear is weird and it annoys me maybe the input shaft bearing playing games? Smh

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mario Maldonado
No the sound stays there even when i press the clutch gradually until it disengages i put it in gear make it roll and leave it in gear press the clutch in i can hear it faintly until i take it out of gear is weird and it annoys me maybe the input shaft bearing playing games? Smh
Sounds like something with the input shaft or possible with the counter gear bearing. You should get it looked at by someone who really knows manual transmission. If you are the original owner the car should still be under the drive train warranty?

Keep in mind replacing a noisy bearing can be kinda of expensive, repairing a manual transmission after a bearing failed will be VERY expensive.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Sounds like something with the input shaft or possible with the counter gear bearing. You should get it looked at by someone who really knows manual transmission. If you are the original owner the car should still be under the drive train warranty?

Keep in mind replacing a noisy bearing can be kinda of expensive, repairing a manual transmission after a bearing failed will be VERY expensive.
Am the second owner does that still cover the car ? 5yr 100,000 mile am sure it does but not positive i took it once but the day was warm enough that morning it dint make the noise it is really weird so they just gave me the car bck i hope it still covered even if am the second owner

Old 12-17-2015, 07:26 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think the warranty has to be transferred or at lease that was the way it worked. If you bought it at a GM dealer they should handle it automatically. It has been awhile since I have done it but you can log into GM's website and check the warranty status. I am sure a dealer could tell you pretty quickly. A word of warning, they will not cover a clutch component under warranty. If you are covered you may want to ask them "what if" its the clutch.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-17-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission noise throw out bearing whine when cold