shifting smoothness

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default shifting smoothness

So, I'm pushing 60 (age) and am not destined for competitions or anything, but I'm enjoying the manual transmission (Aisin AY6) of my "new" 2012 Camara 2LT very much, and will enjoy getting better and better at it. I drove stick with joy back in my 20s and 30s. That's the background for my question.

Most of my driving is "daily" as in to and from work, out on errands, etc. (although I have been taking the long way home). So, my use of the car under those circumstances is "gentle", in traffic, no need to nor often possibility of spirited driving. I am getting away from stoplights by feathering the engine up to only 1200 rpm quite often, by which time the clutch is fully engaged, and then moving up through the gears very conservatively to, say, 4th at 40 mph, which is roughly 1750 rpm.

I'm finding that getting this consistently smooth is difficult. The slip range of the clutch seems quite short, so hard not to jerk, and matching it with the engine revs is variably successful. The higher the gear, the smoother of course it is.

So, is it normal with that kind of driving to be able to pop quickly from 1st to 2nd, keeping the power on with the briefest interruption (and why bother with "conservative" acceleration except that I enjoy it), smoothly with good rev-matching? Sometimes I'm treating 2nd almost like 1st: giving the engine gentle power and easing the clutch out as the revs come down while the car is speeding up. Is it just a matter of experience and practice, or is this transmission just like that?

I"m sitting lower down and further back than in my sedan, and think the position is good, with my arms bent the right amount at the elbow and with good leg extension at full clutch pedal depression but not near the limit. Is shifting smoothness highly dependent on seating position?

More questions later, perhaps.

Thank you.

Charles

Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Official GM Representitive

Originally Posted by ctlow
So, I'm pushing 60 (age) and am not destined for competitions or anything, but I'm enjoying the manual transmission (Aisin AY6) of my "new" 2012 Camara 2LT very much, and will enjoy getting better and better at it. I drove stick with joy back in my 20s and 30s. That's the background for my question.

Most of my driving is "daily" as in to and from work, out on errands, etc. (although I have been taking the long way home). So, my use of the car under those circumstances is "gentle", in traffic, no need to nor often possibility of spirited driving. I am getting away from stoplights by feathering the engine up to only 1200 rpm quite often, by which time the clutch is fully engaged, and then moving up through the gears very conservatively to, say, 4th at 40 mph, which is roughly 1750 rpm.

I'm finding that getting this consistently smooth is difficult. The slip range of the clutch seems quite short, so hard not to jerk, and matching it with the engine revs is variably successful. The higher the gear, the smoother of course it is.

So, is it normal with that kind of driving to be able to pop quickly from 1st to 2nd, keeping the power on with the briefest interruption (and why bother with "conservative" acceleration except that I enjoy it), smoothly with good rev-matching? Sometimes I'm treating 2nd almost like 1st: giving the engine gentle power and easing the clutch out as the revs come down while the car is speeding up. Is it just a matter of experience and practice, or is this transmission just like that?

I"m sitting lower down and further back than in my sedan, and think the position is good, with my arms bent the right amount at the elbow and with good leg extension at full clutch pedal depression but not near the limit. Is shifting smoothness highly dependent on seating position?

Thank you.

Charles
Hello Charles,

Sincere apologies to hear of the smoothness concerns you're experiencing. Have you taken the vehicle in for a diagnosis? I'd be more than happy to schedule a dealer appointment if you feel like this may lead to a bigger issue. Feel free to message me regarding this situation.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, William. I wasn't thinking along those lines, although I realize there is always some "Net chatter" about any particular product including the Asain AY6 transmission. I think it's more a matter of my technique, although the transmission is a bit "clicky" (not "clunky"), under some circumstances.

I can say this, that moving more energetically up through the gears, the mechanism is basically happy. But it doesn't seem engineered so much for sedate driving.

I have been paying more attention to smoothness. "Smooth first, fast later." It's all done in fractions of a second, but I'm working on small, basic things like getting the clutch pedal all the way in before starting a shift, and just getting used to the feel - which seems quite subtle to me - of matching the accelerator and clutch pedals, when upshifting. (Downshifting is another matter - one of my "possible later questions".)

Overall, having a blast. And driving safely.

Thanks again.

Charles

Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Official GM Representitive

Thanks, William. I wasn't thinking along those lines, although I realize there is always some "Net chatter" about any particular product including the Asain AY6 transmission. I think it's more a matter of my technique, although the transmission is a bit "clicky" (not "clunky"), under some circumstances.

I can say this, that moving more energetically up through the gears, the mechanism is basically happy. But it doesn't seem engineered so much for sedate driving.

I have been paying more attention to smoothness. "Smooth first, fast later." It's all done in fractions of a second, but I'm working on small, basic things like getting the clutch pedal all the way in before starting a shift, and just getting used to the feel - which seems quite subtle to me - of matching the accelerator and clutch pedals, when upshifting. (Downshifting is another matter - one of my "possible later questions".)

Overall, having a blast. And driving safely.

Thanks again.

Charles
I definitely understand,

Continue to feel it out and let me know how the experience improves for you. I'm happy you're enjoying the vehicle and I hope it continues to remain that way. If you have any questions for whatever reasons, don't hesitate to contact us Charles.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM

Thank you.

Charles

I'm guessing the Aisin AY6 is what comes stock on the Camaros? I had a MT 2013 2LT... and it was my first car I owned stick.. I don't have much to compare it to since all I've driven was a truck and a buddy's old Nissan sentra.. took me a while to get it to shift smoothly.. 2nd gear being the most difficult (I've seen that 2nd is like this from a ton of other MT Camaro drivers)..

what I found to be best at getting it to shift smoothly was to jerk my leg to let the clutch reach that point -just before- it grabs, and then simultaneously lift and gas steadily..

when it comes to rev-matching and upshifts, i find that on the 2LT the rpm's drop into a range where matching is a non issue.. that is unless you have the clutch engaged too long where the rpms will then start to drop way down... i feel the rev-match is more important for down shifting

i view seating position as being important, however doesn't directly relate to smoothness.. when you adjust position you'll need to adjust your leg movement (i hate when i have someone sitting behind me, as i'll need to change my position and makes me change my leg movements for shifting)..

it's all in the balance of clutch and gas.. and over time it should become more familiar

i feel that "notchy" describes it best.. at least from my experiences with the 2LT and my Camaro now..

Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, RonnieG.

Yes, it's the Aisin AY6.

I'm working on it and making progress, but don't recall having this much of a learning curve with a 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit and later with a 1986 Toyota Celica. (Loved 'em both!)

I'm also working on heel-and-toeing, and have done it well quite a few times, the last few days. I realize that it's not necessary for street-driving - it's just fun.

Check out this one about heel-and-toe and listen to the tire squeal:
. Also,
. And there are many others.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It's been about a month and a half.

Getting there with the clutch and transmission. Focus, mileage ... surprisingly steep curve!