My new brilliant Aussie-designed Mantic Clutch kit for my Whipple'd 590rwhp Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Default My new brilliant Aussie-designed Mantic Clutch kit for my Whipple'd 590rwhp Camaro

So my clutch had started sticking recently ... I flushed the brakes and clutch and it improved, however I had the same problem back in Australia with my cammed 500rwhp Holden SSV Commodore (Pontiac G8 GT) and know it is only a matter of time until the clutch needs replacing.

So the first company I thought of was some guys I met at SEMA called Mantic. Being an Aussie, the commodore racing car they had on their booth caught my eye ... and when I got talking with them found out they had just started bringing their products to the US. The kits look brilliant .... really well engineered and made. As a point of showing how good they are, they go to the effort of shipping them in either in a wooden crate or an aluminum flight case.

So I got on line and started researching them and was REALLY impressed with their technology ... so I emailed their Australian office and they put me on to Tim their local distributor.

As a coincidence, I mentioned to Tim that Ryne Cunningham would be fitting the clutch for me, and he said that a customer of CMS had recently fitted a twin-plate Mantic in their Z06. So I asked the guys at CMS what they thought and they said they were really, really impressed with the clutch kit and had no hesitation in recommending Mantic.

I've gone for a Mantic Street with ER2 ... a single plate clutch kit that comes with pressure plate, clutch plate, flywheel and thrust bearings and spacers and has an MSRP of only $795. The grooved pressure plate provides better grip, while the design increases capable torque by 60% over a standard clutch. The design also drastically reduces temperature. It will be more than adequate to handle my hp and torque and still retain total drive-ability of a standard clutch.

I'll attach some pics and also a link to their website ... and then when I get it installed in a couple of weeks I'll come back and give and update with some more pics and video.

If you want more info you can speak to Ryne at CMS if you're in SoCal, or email Tim Andrews at TA Performance Sales: ta.performancesales@gmail.com or phone 440.391.1330

They're looking for more Camaro installers ... so can I suggest a few of you shops may want to give him a call. They also have track-designed twin and triple disk kits available too. Mantic Performance Clutches

Here's the clutch I've gone for: Mantic Performance Clutches

Look at how well put together the kit is:
Name:  90e876a5.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  135.2 KB

Check out the grooved pressure plate:
Name:  dad84be2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  169.8 KB

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Was curious about the different facing on the pressure plate ... just found this out from the Mantic distributor:

"This is a dual friction disc, the side mating to pressure plate is full-face organic, segmented side mates to flywheel only. This design provides maximum grip while reducing chatter."

Flywheel side
Name:  e5096d09.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  140.6 KB

Pressure plate side
Name:  8c323b95.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  137.3 KB