Test drove my first 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Test drove my first 5th gen

OK, I have been wanting a 5th gen since they came out but did not want to get the 2010 since it was new and may have some kinks to be worked out. I have a 93 6 speed and went to a buddy car salesman of mine and looked at the 5th gen ss cars but they didn't have a 6 speed, I am looking for used. Well, he called me the other day and got a 2012 6 speed on trade. It has 16,000 miles on it and has the hurst shifter and cherry bomb mufflers and tips. The car sounds awesome! Anyway, I drove it for about an hour and I have to say, I was not impressed. I am a true Camaro guy who has owned several 2nd, 3rd and my one 4th gen. I am a Camaro enthusiast and take up for Camaro to the point I get pissed sometimes. Anyway, I thought this car should just be a pure powerhouse but it didn't seem to have the umph my 93 has. I don't know if my 93 has anything done to it or not, I know it has a hypertech chip and 160 thermometer I think it is. The car felt very tamed, even with the traction control off. Maybe its just because its so big and on a very stable platform the you go fast and don't know it. It just didn't seem "violent" like my 93 does. My 93 puts you back and feels like you will break the seat on every shift. Has anyone else driven both gens and felt the same way. Is the 5th gen actually quicker but just don't feel like it? Also, the blindspots are crazy and you cant put your elbow out the window because the window was so high. I hate to say it but I went out and was looking at challengers and mustangs and the 5.0 mustang has the "feeling" of power I like. The mustang just felt like a much better car and it makes me mad because I love Camaros soo much. I really think GM missed it on the 5th gen.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by jjz28
OK, I have been wanting a 5th gen since they came out but did not want to get the 2010 since it was new and may have some kinks to be worked out. I have a 93 6 speed and went to a buddy car salesman of mine and looked at the 5th gen ss cars but they didn't have a 6 speed, I am looking for used. Well, he called me the other day and got a 2012 6 speed on trade. It has 16,000 miles on it and has the hurst shifter and cherry bomb mufflers and tips. The car sounds awesome! Anyway, I drove it for about an hour and I have to say, I was not impressed. I am a true Camaro guy who has owned several 2nd, 3rd and my one 4th gen. I am a Camaro enthusiast and take up for Camaro to the point I get pissed sometimes. Anyway, I thought this car should just be a pure powerhouse but it didn't seem to have the umph my 93 has. I don't know if my 93 has anything done to it or not, I know it has a hypertech chip and 160 thermometer I think it is. The car felt very tamed, even with the traction control off. Maybe its just because its so big and on a very stable platform the you go fast and don't know it. It just didn't seem "violent" like my 93 does. My 93 puts you back and feels like you will break the seat on every shift. Has anyone else driven both gens and felt the same way. Is the 5th gen actually quicker but just don't feel like it? Also, the blindspots are crazy and you cant put your elbow out the window because the window was so high. I hate to say it but I went out and was looking at challengers and mustangs and the 5.0 mustang has the "feeling" of power I like. The mustang just felt like a much better car and it makes me mad because I love Camaros soo much. I really think GM missed it on the 5th gen.
I can agree with you there, I get obsessed over cars to the point where my mind is racing a million miles and hour and I stay up all night looking at cars!

The 93 camaro ss had 330hp stock? The fifth gen SS has like 420 I think, but it is a few hundred pounds heavier then the 93.

The coyote mustangs may be considered heavy but they are much lighter then the fifth gen camaro and they match/beat in power engine wise, so definitely feel like they pull harder.

I was planning on upgrading to a 5.0 from my 4.6 but I want to give the new camaros a try after all the problems I had with my older camaros.

I really want a convertible though it seems the camaros in this area are not as plentiful for sale as mustangs and the ones u do find are very expensive!

I may just say screw it and get a v6 vert camaro fifth gen just to save money, I've had my fun with a v8 and don't race anymore or need the extra power. I just really want a convertible now!

Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear member

I hear ya man. I believe me and my wife have decided on a new wrx. They go good in snow and pull hard.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Man, I hate to put this out there cause I have always been a diehard Camaro man but I just bought a 2013 "gotta have it green" 5.0 mustang. It will eat the 2012 ss up easily. It pissed me off really but that's the fact. I think Gm missed the mark bad. The mustang is not supposed to beat the Camaro but, it does. That car is sooo quick its amazing. Way more comfortable, no blind spots and a lot better made without the cheap plastics.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

THAT is a bannable offense here!!! I'm going to pretend I didn't see this post. lol

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Haha, I hate I had to put it on here. I have fought over Camaro/mustang arguments when I was young. I love Camaros, I have tons of shirts and models for Camaros. The mustang is just a better car than the 5th gen. I still have my 93 6 speed that I will never get rid of.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 'Maro!
The 93 camaro ss had 330hp stock? The fifth gen SS has like 420 I think, but it is a few hundred pounds heavier then the 93.
!
There is no '93 SS. The SS model didn't appear till '96. But a stock '93 is rated at 265 HP. This is conservative, however. Car Craft did an article when they first came out testing it at the rear wheels and got roughly that through a auto. A six speed would be slightly higher, but his mods would add very little power.

To the OP:
My uncle has a 2011 V6 auto and I feel it's about even with my '93 Z. My cousin has a 2012 with a V8 with a six speed and hers has some get up and go, but not quite has much as her '02 WS6 had, but that had mods.

But yeah, the blind spots are horrible. Probably why he rarely drove it.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:05 AM
2nd Gear member

The Camaro definitely has get up and go. And, maybe its just the "feel" of being quicker. The Camaro has 6 more horses. If they make the Camaro better, the stang will definitely get traded in, unless I fall more in love with it than I am now.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 AM
4th Gear Member

Maybe you feel it more with the Stang because it's max torque comes on at a lower RPM.

Mustang with a 5.0L: 390 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm

Camaro with a LS3: 420 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm

It's only 350 rpms, but the Camaro also weighs 3750 compared to the Stangs 3480. Again, not a huge difference, but together it might just be enough of a notice for you.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:52 PM

did u buy it brand new? dude u should have waited for the s550 its coming out 2014! unless you dont like how it looks....i kinda changed my mind recently, mostly because im sick of having a car payment, im thinking of trading my 06 gt for a 4th gen camaro, honestly i think the 4th gen is my favorite camaro body style, i'd like to have a fifth gen, but i don't like how they look as much.

Quick Reply: Test drove my first 5th gen