Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Default Extended Warranty?

Whats your views on the extended warranty? I'm a low mileage driver and went with the 7 year 75000 mile warranty. (bumper to bumper)
I have noticed a lot of little things that could go wrong - like how the windows drop and raise a 1/4 inch when opening and closing the doors.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The window thing is a factory built incentive... Most corvettes does the same thing being a sports car and all... The warranty you have though is a pretty good warranty though...

Old 03-22-2010, 08:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just a thought, maybe an extended warranty wouldnt be such a bad idea, but with technology the way it is now since the f-body ancestor, I wouldnt let the window thing worry me too much, especially since I assume you would take care of the car anyway...

Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 AM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I bought the same thing...basically because of the low mileage I put on it, figured a couple extra years could come in handy.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
4th Gear Member

My thoughts about extended warranties.....Waste of money.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM

Honestly, I've used extended warranties on all of my vehicles since 2003 and I find them to be beneficial with how today's vehicles are built. A zero - hundred dollar deductible is MUCH better than paying hundreds...even thousands for a repair that doesn't fall into the manufacturers warranty. Not only that, if you trade in the vehicle before the end of the warranty, you can request a refund on the remainder of the warranty. I do agree though, that most dealerships do try to sell you many unecessary things but, I've found that Gap and these warranties have benefited me greatly.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SicilianMedic
Honestly, I've used extended warranties on all of my vehicles since 2003 and I find them to be beneficial with how today's vehicles are built. A zero - hundred dollar deductible is MUCH better than paying hundreds...even thousands for a repair that doesn't fall into the manufacturers warranty. Not only that, if you trade in the vehicle before the end of the warranty, you can request a refund on the remainder of the warranty. I do agree though, that most dealerships do try to sell you many unecessary things but, I've found that Gap and these warranties have benefited me greatly.
The funny thing is, I tried to sell the Dos and Windows 3.1 source a few years ago since I though some hams might be able to use it for their projects, and of course I got all sorts of low ball, insulting offers. Now I'm glad I didn't, as Ive made much much more from putting it on the 25th anniversary CD than I had as a selling price.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
4th Gear Member

I guess some of you would buy extended warranty on a toaster.....

Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by blackz87
I guess some of you would buy extended warranty on a toaster.....

Actually, I wouldn't...but thanks. Like I said, I've had good experiences with extended warranties on NEW vehicles, as I've had to use them more than once. If I didn't have said warranty last Fall on my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona, I would have shelled out over $700 in repair costs VERSUS the $100 deductible. The toaster versus automobile comparison is a joke! Spending $10-$15 dollars on something versus $30,000? I'm going to make sure my $30,000 investment is covered. But hey, that's just me........

Last edited by SicilianMedic; 03-24-2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Grammarical errors.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

and getting one on a first year model is not a bad call either...but some people just know better.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty?