2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Camaro 2LS noise problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Default 2014 Camaro 2LS noise problems

First, it is my first time on these forums and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section, feel free to point me to the right place. Now...

I just noticed my New Camaro with only 2400 miles is making a weird vibration like noise and it sounds like it's ether coming from underneath the center console or the passenger side. The noise itself is very much like if you had a cooling fan at home (ones with the 3 speeds, Pedestal Fans or w.e) with a piece of paper or something similar stuck to the blade and every time the fan runs over it, it would make that "vibration" like noise. That's very similar to the noise my car is making. Now, this noise is always present, I can barely hear it at low speeds and as the speed increases the loudness of it increases as well; from 35mph and up, it's the loudest it ever gets. Any suggestions?

p.s.: one more thing, since I got the car, whenever I turn it off and get out of it, I hear random cracking-popping like sounds from under the car for a little while. What's with that?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Moved you to the 5th gen general section.
The vibration noise you hear could be anything from an exhaust heat shield to some road debris you could have picked up. Look under the car and see if anything looks out of place, bang on the exhaust system with your hand and listen for any rattle sound. Being a 2014, the car is under warranty, so the dealer can take a look at it as well.
The cracking-popping noise is normal from expansion/contraction as the exhaust system cools off.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Moved you to the 5th gen general section.
The vibration noise you hear could be anything from an exhaust heat shield to some road debris you could have picked up. Look under the car and see if anything looks out of place, bang on the exhaust system with your hand and listen for any rattle sound. Being a 2014, the car is under warranty, so the dealer can take a look at it as well.
The cracking-popping noise is normal from expansion/contraction as the exhaust system cools off.
Ok here is an interesting update. This morning when I woke up I took it for a drive to see if the sound persists, and it did. About 6 hours later it started raining, so I took it out for a quick drive again, and no sound.......................................

Old 06-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Contrary to popular belief, water can be a lubricant!
Vibrating brakes comes to mind, and getting them wet could be enough to stop the effect.
Really though, without being there it's just a best guess. You'd be better off to take the car in and get it checked under warranty.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 PM

I'll see tomorrow when it's dry again if the noise comes back. If it does I'll take it to the dealership on Monday when I am off work. Thank you for all your input nonetheless.

Edit: still happens. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Will update for others to know

Last edited by Dejan Iskra; 06-04-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Official GM Representitive

Originally Posted by Dejan Iskra
First, it is my first time on these forums and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section, feel free to point me to the right place. Now...

I just noticed my New Camaro with only 2400 miles is making a weird vibration like noise and it sounds like it's ether coming from underneath the center console or the passenger side. The noise itself is very much like if you had a cooling fan at home (ones with the 3 speeds, Pedestal Fans or w.e) with a piece of paper or something similar stuck to the blade and every time the fan runs over it, it would make that "vibration" like noise. That's very similar to the noise my car is making. Now, this noise is always present, I can barely hear it at low speeds and as the speed increases the loudness of it increases as well; from 35mph and up, it's the loudest it ever gets. Any suggestions?

p.s.: one more thing, since I got the car, whenever I turn it off and get out of it, I hear random cracking-popping like sounds from under the car for a little while. What's with that?
Dejan,

Very sorry to hear about the concerns with the noise, especially since this appears to be an intermittent occurrence. Please keep us posted on your experience and don't hesitate to contact us privately if you have any additional questions.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Just got back from the dealership. I took a ride with their head technician and he said he hears nothing out of the ordinary, but admits to hearing that rattling noise. Then I wait in their lobby, and a lady comes in and tells me him and another technician took it for a drive and they don't hear anything "out of the ordinary"................... If it was normal I would of been hearing it for the past 2000 miles. I recorded the sound as best as I could with my iphone on the way back, turn up your sound all the way, at 0:10 is when I reach 40mph and let off the gas pedal
. I am really pissed right now because if you can hear that sound in the video just imagine how more annoying and loud it is in person..... What to do now since they don't want to inspect or do anything about it?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Official GM Representitive

Just got back from the dealership. I took a ride with their head technician and he said he hears nothing out of the ordinary, but admits to hearing that rattling noise. Then I wait in their lobby, and a lady comes in and tells me him and another technician took it for a drive and they don't hear anything "out of the ordinary"................... If it was normal I would of been hearing it for the past 2000 miles. I recorded the sound as best as I could with my iphone on the way back, turn up your sound all the way, at 0:10 is when I reach 40mph and let off the gas pedal 2014 Camaro 2LS 2400 miles - Weird noise - YouTube . I am really pissed right now because if you can hear that sound in the video just imagine how more annoying and loud it is in person..... What to do now since they don't want to inspect or do anything about it?
Thanks for your update,

The dealer must be able to duplicate the condition in order to proceed with a repair plan. Unfortunately they cannot replace parts that are operating as designed during their diagnostic examination. I can document that you're experiencing this concern and we'll do everything we can on our end to help if this should become frequently occurring, or otherwise escalates. Another option would be to seek a second dealer for a fresh diagnosis as well. You're more than welcome to contact me privately if you'd to continue the conversation.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just got back from the dealership. I took a ride with their head technician and he said he hears nothing out of the ordinary, but admits to hearing that rattling noise.
So is he saying the rattle noise is ordinary? If so, have them take you out in another 2014 so you can hear the same ordinary rattle that then should be present in that car as well.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
So is he saying the rattle noise is ordinary? If so, have them take you out in another 2014 so you can hear the same ordinary rattle that then should be present in that car as well.
Yes, his and the other guy's exact words were "nothing sounds out of the ordinary"......... My reply was 2 parts, first, if it was ordinary then why wasn't I hearing it the first 2400 miles? Second, something happened or changed somewhere in the car otherwise I wouldn't of been having this issue. You can't have something happen without something causing it; simple physics, action = reaction.

Quick Reply: 2014 Camaro 2LS noise problems